Working Paper submitted by China:On Security Assurances
The Chinese Delegation hereby requests that the following elements be incorporated in the recommendations to the 2005 Review Conference of the States Parties to the Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
1. In order to free the world from the threat of nuclear weapons and the risk of nuclear war, all nuclear weapons should be subject to complete prohibition and thorough destruction. Before the objective is realized, all nuclear-weapon states should undertake not to be the first to use nuclear weapons and not to use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear-weapon states or nuclear-weapon-free zones at any time or under any circumstances.
2. An international convention on the no-first-use of nuclear weapons and international legal instrument on no use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear-weapon states or nuclear-weapon-free zones should be concluded as soon as possible.
3. Nuclear-weapon states should lower the role of nuclear weapons in their national security strategies and not list any country as target of strike by nuclear weapons.
4. Nuclear-weapon states should support non-nuclear-weapon states' efforts to establish nuclear-weapon-free zones and undertake corresponding obligations.
5. The Conference on Disarmament in Geneva should re-establish an ad hoc committee on Negative Security Assurances and start substantive work and negotiations without delay.