Working Paper submitted by China:On the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy
The Chinese Delegation hereby requests that the following elements be incorporated in the recommendations to the 2005 Review Conference of the States Parties to the Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
1. It is an important objective of the NPT to promote peaceful uses of nuclear energy and the relevant international cooperation. Enhanced efforts in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy are conducive to a comprehensive realization of all the objectives of the NPT and will be helpful in promoting nuclear disarmament and preventing nuclear weapons proliferation.
2. The prevention of nuclear weapons proliferation and the peaceful uses of nuclear energy are mutually complementary and inseparably linked with each other. Non-proliferation efforts should not undermine the right of all countries, especially that of the developing countries to the peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
3. The International Atomic Energy Agency maintaining a proper balance between the safeguards and the international cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy will conduce to ensuring by the member states active support and participation in the Agency's activities.
4. Technical assistance to the developing countries on peaceful uses of nuclear energy should be further strengthened.
5. Adequate fund should be guaranteed for the Agency's promotional and technical cooperation activities. All member states should contribute to the Technical Cooperation Fund in full and in time.
6. In order to guard against possible nuclear terrorist acts, the physical protection of nuclear material and nuclear facilities and relevant international cooperation should be strengthened, and the Agency's efforts in this respect should be supported.