Security Assurances Working Paper submitted by China
The Chinese delegation hereby requests that the following elements be included in the report of Main Committee I and the final document of the Review Conference:
1. Pending the realization of the objective of complete prohibition and thorough destruction of nuclear weapons, all nuclear-weapon states should unequivocally undertake not to be the first to use nuclear weapons at any time and under any circumstances, and undertake unconditionally not to use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear-weapon states or nuclear-weapon-free zones.
2. Security assurances by nuclear-weapon states to the non-nuclear-weapon states are conducive to strengthening the international nuclear non-proliferation regime. A universal, unconditional and legally binding international legal instrument on this issue should be concluded as soon as possible.
3. Nuclear-weapon states should diminish the role of nuclear weapons in their national security policies, and refrain from listing any countries as targets of nuclear strikes or targeting the nuclear weapons under their control at any country.
4. Nuclear-weapon states should support the efforts of non-nuclear-weapon states to establish nuclear-weapon-free zones, and undertake corresponding obligations in a legally binding manner.
5. The Conference on Disarmament should start substantive work on concluding an international legal instrument on security assurances to non-nuclear-weapon states at an early date.