Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy Working Paper submitted by China
The Chinese delegation requests that the following elements be included in the report of Main Committee III and the final document of the Review Conference:
1. It is the inalienable right of the States parties to the NPT to develop research, production and use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. It is also one of the fundamental objectives of the NPT and the Statute of the IAEA. Promoting the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and relevant international cooperation is conducive to a comprehensive realization of all the objectives of the NPT, as well as advancing nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation process.
2. The promotion of the peaceful uses of nuclear energy and the prevention of nuclear weapons proliferation are mutually complementary and reinforcing. Non-proliferation efforts should not undermine the legitimate rights of countries, especially that of the developing countries, to the peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
3. A proper balance between the two categories of IAEA activities, the safeguards and international cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, will ensure member states’ active support of and participation in the IAEA activities.
4. Adequate resources should be guaranteed for the IAEA promotional and technical cooperation activities. All states parties should contribute to the Technical Cooperation Fund in full and on time.
5. The developed countries and the IAEA should extend their assistance to the developing countries, in accordance with their actual needs, on peaceful uses of nuclear energy.
6. Enhancing nuclear security is of great significance to ensuring sustained development of nuclear energy. All countries bear the responsibilities to take physical protection measures to secure nuclear material and facilities within their respective jurisdictions. Earnest efforts should be made to consolidate the existing international legal framework and strengthen international cooperation. IAEA should continue to play a leading role in the field of nuclear security.
7. Relevant parties should continue the constructive discussions on establishing multilateral nuclear fuel supply mechanism so as to reach a solution acceptable to all. IAEA may play an active role in this regard.