Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone Working Paper submitted by China
The Chinese delegation hereby requests the following elements be included in the report of Main Committee II and the final document of the Review Conference:
1. The establishment of nuclear-weapon-free zones is of great significance in promoting nuclear disarmament, preventing proliferation of nuclear weapons and enhancing regional and global peace and security. It also constitutes an important step towards the establishment of a nuclear-weapon-free world.
2. The guidelines on establishing nuclear-weapon-free zones adopted by the United Nations Disarmament Commission in 1999 should be faithfully observed.
3. The international community should actively support efforts by relevant countries to establish nuclear-weapon-free zones on the basis of consultations among themselves and voluntary agreements in light of actual regional conditions.
4. Welcome the entry into force of the Treaty on a Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone in Africa and the Treaty on a Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone in Central Asia. The international community should encourage non-nuclear-weapon states to continue to put forward proposals on establishing new nuclear-weapon-free zones and make efforts in this regard.
5. The international community should faithfully implement the Resolution on Middle East adopted by 1995 NPT Review and Extension Conference and support efforts by the countries in the Middle East to establish a zone free of nuclear weapons as well as other WMDs in the Middle East. China believes that great importance should be attached to relevant proposals by the countries in the Middle East to implement the Resolution at an early date.
6. The nuclear-weapon states should undertake unconditionally not to use or threaten to use nuclear weapons against non-nuclear-weapon states or nuclear-weapon-free zones and conclude an international legal instrument in this regard.
7. All nuclear-weapon states should respect the legal status of nuclear-weapon-free zones and sign and ratify the protocols of relevant treaties on nuclear-weapon-free zones. Concrete measures should be taken to implement the security assurances stipulated in all nuclear-weapon-free-zone treaties and relevant protocols.