Joint Declaration Between the People's Republic of China and Turkmenistan
At the invitation of President Gurbanguly Berdimuhammedow of Turkmenistan, President Hu Jintao of the People's Republic of China paid a state visit to Turkmenistan from 28 to 29 August 2008. The two heads of state had a full exchange of views and reached extensive common understanding on China-Turkmenistan relations and international and regional issues of common interest.
1. The two sides noted with satisfaction the sound and steady growth of China-Turkmenistan friendly relations and cooperation in recent years as well as the widening and fruitful cooperation between the two countries in the various fields. The two sides emphasized that they would continue to maintain exchange of high-level visits and contacts at all levels, increase political mutual trust, earnestly implement the agreements and consensus reached between them, deepen and expand cooperation in all fields and further advance the friendly relations and cooperation between China and Turkmenistan.
2. The two sides stated that they would continue to strengthen exchanges between the National People's Congress of China and the People's Council of Turkmenistan, conduct friendly exchanges and cooperation at various levels and further improve the legal basis for bilateral cooperation.
3. The two sides stressed that to further consolidate and develop the friendly relations and cooperation between China and Turkmenistan is the set principle of the foreign policy of both countries. China applauded the remarkable progress made by Turkmenistan in nation building and social and economic development. China reaffirmed its continued support for Turkmenistan in pursuing a development path suited to its national conditions and respect for Turkmenistan's policy of "permanent neutrality". Turkmenistan applauded the outstanding achievements China has made after 30 years of reform and opening-up, believing that China's development is a positive factor contributing to world peace and prosperity and that the Chinese people will successfully achieve the grand goals of development of the country.
4. The Turkmenistan side reiterated its firm commitment to the one-China policy and its recognition of the Government of the People's Republic of China as the sole legal government representing the whole China and Taiwan as part of China. It is firmly opposed to any form of "Taiwan independence" or any attempt to create "two Chinas" or "one China, one Taiwan". It is opposed to Taiwan's membership in any international or regional organization where statehood is required. It supports all efforts made by the Chinese Government to realize national reunification. The Chinese side highly appreciates this principled position of Turkmenistan, and reiterated its support for the efforts made by Turkmenistan to safeguard its independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, maintain domestic stability and develop the national economy.
5. China highly appreciates Turkmenistan's firm support for China's position in the fight against "East Turkistan" and other elements of the "three evil forces". The two sides reaffirmed that they would abide by the Cooperation Agreement on Combating Terrorism, Separatism and Extremism Between the People's Republic of China and Turkmenistan, continue to deepen cooperation in the security field, resolutely combat the "three evil forces", and maintain security of the two countries and stability in the region.
6. China highly values and appreciates the sympathy and material assistance of Turkmenistan for China after the devastating earthquake in Wenchuan, which helped people in affected areas undertake disaster-relief and reconstruction work.
7. The Turkmenistan side congratulated China on successfully hosting the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, taking it as a huge contribution of China to the advancement of the international Olympic movement and the building of a harmonious world.
8. The two sides agreed to establish the China-Turkmenistan Cooperation Committee. The two sides indicated that they would give full play to the guiding and coordinating role of the Committee in comprehensively advancing bilateral cooperation in economy, trade, energy, security, and people-to-people and cultural exchanges.
9. The two sides stressed that they will, under the principles of equality, mutual benefit, and win-win cooperation, promote bilateral cooperation in energy, transportation, telecommunications, chemical industry, textiles, construction materials and other fields. They stated that they would create an enabling environment to speed up the implementation of the cooperation projects agreed between them, and ensure that the China-Turkmenistan natural gas pipeline will be completed as scheduled. The two sides will further improve the legal basis for economic cooperation and trade, explore the potential as well as new areas and models of cooperation, and upgrade China-Turkmenistan practical cooperation to a new level.
10. The two sides will, on the basis of their respective laws, create favorable conditions for the investment, trade, and economic and technological cooperation conducted in one country by individuals, companies and other economic entities of the other country, and take effective measures to protect the personal safety, property and other lawful rights and interests of the nationals of the other country.
11. The two sides will continue to promote people-to-people exchanges and contacts, expand cooperation in culture, art, sport, education, news media, public health, tourism and other fields, and strengthen cooperation in language teaching, mutual dispatching of students and exchange of visits of education groups.
12. Both sides hold that Central Asian countries have their unique historical and cultural traditions, and that the international community should respect the development path chosen by the people of the Central Asian countries in light of their respective national conditions. To uphold stability and peace in Central Asia and promote the development and prosperity of the economy of Central Asian countries conforms to the shared aspirations of people of all countries in the region. China applauds the efforts made by Turkmenistan in promoting security, stability and development of Central Asia.
13. The two sides stressed that they will further strengthen cooperation in the United Nations and other multilateral framework, continue to enhance consultation and deepen coordination on international and regional affairs, and create a favorable international environment for the development of the two countries. China spoke highly of the work done by Turkmenistan for the establishment of the UN Regional Centre for Preventive Diplomacy in Central Asia (UNRCCA), and will continue to support and cooperate with the Center in carrying out its work.
The People's Republic of ChinaGurbanguly Berdimuhammedow
Ashgabat, 29 August 2008