Joint Press Release of the Third Trilateral Foreign Ministers' Meeting among the People's Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea
1. On the occasion of the tenth anniversary of the trilateral cooperation, foreign ministers of the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea (ROK) met in Shanghai on 28 September 2009.
2. We reviewed the fresh headway made in the trilateral cooperation and exchanged views on the celebration activities for the tenth anniversary of the trilateral cooperation and on future cooperation among the three countries. We also exchanged views on major regional and international issues of mutual interest.
3. We expressed satisfaction about the progress of the trilateral cooperation. With ten years of development, cooperation among China, Japan and the ROK shows good momentum of growth. With good-neighborly friendship among the three countries high on the agenda of our respective foreign policies, we have maintained high-level exchanges and contacts, increased mutual political trust, earnestly implemented the Action Plan for Promoting Trilateral Cooperation among the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea, and conducted cooperation on over 30 projects in the political, economic and social fields, science and technology, environmental protection, culture and international affairs.
4. We agreed on the need for combined trilateral efforts to build on past achievements and to deepen the partnership of comprehensive cooperation in a future-oriented manner. To this end, we will enhance cooperation in the following aspects: continue to build stable strategic mutual trust; deepen and raise the level of our cooperation; persist in trilateral social, cultural and people-to-people exchanges, and work together to promote East Asian cooperation and regional peace and prosperity. We put forward concrete ideas and initiatives in the above-mentioned fields.
5. We exchanged views on matters related to the Second Trilateral Summit Meeting among the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea. At the crucial moment of the joint endeavor to tackle the international financial crisis, promote recovery and re-launch growth, the Meeting is of great significance to enhance mutual political trust, advance mutually-beneficial cooperation and promote stability and development in Asia. We agreed to hold the Second Trilateral Summit Meeting in Beijing, China on 10 October and will keep in touch on the relevant preparations through diplomatic channels.
6. We also exchanged views on the international economic and financial situation, situation in Northeast Asia, East Asian cooperation, climate change, UN reform, arms control, disarmament and non-proliferation.
7. We agreed to hold the Fourth Trilateral Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in the Republic of Korea next year.